Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Europe Trip! October 15-24 2012

 I was so lucky to be able to go to Europe this year! I was gone for 10 days with no Izzy and no Jeff. I missed them so much but it was an amazing trip and I felt so lucky to have the opportunity to go! It all started when Liz called and asked if we wanted to go visit her brother in Germany with the whole family. Well, Eric and Sallee were not able to go because of school, Jeff was not able to go because of work (and he has already been to Germany, so he thought he'd better save his vacation time), Rob, Chelsea and Liz were able to go... so I thought... why not?! Unfortunately last minute Liz was not able to go so it ended up being me, Chelsea and Rob! We had a blast. Chelsea and I had the first 5 days to travel with just us girls, and then Rob joined us the last 5 days. They were nice to let me be the 3rd wheel ;). What an amazing opportunity for me to go with no kids and before my life gets crazy! I loved it!
I also have to say that I was looking SO forward to the 9 hour flights that I had ALL TO MYSELF. Not going to lie... it was heaven to order a drink, read a magazine, read a book and watch any movies I wanted! ha ha ;)
 Our first 3 days there, we stayed with Jeff's uncle (Liz's brother) Richie. Amazing hospitality and great company. It was so nice to spend time with him. We were served breakfast with fine china every morning. We had fresh croissants, fresh fruit, ham, cheese and fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. Thank you so much Richie and Tindy!


 
 Our first day out we went to Bamburg. Beautiful little town with great restaurants and shops. It reminded me of Venice and Switzerland mixed. I couldn't open my eyes in this picture because it was just too sunny!
 The next day we made a beautiful drive to Dachau. Dachau Concentration camp was one of the first Nazi concentration camps that opened in Germany. What an amazing and weird feeling at the same time. Very neat to see!

 We made a quick stop to see Munich on the way home... literally 15 minutes! We enjoyed a nice dinner that night with Richie before we left for Prague.
 Then we were off to PRAGUE for the next 3 days to pick up Rob. Prague was definitely one of my favorites. So much to see! From Charles Bridge, to the Prague castle, to the top of the mountain by the "eiffel tower", to Old Town, to a fabulous dinner at Peklo, to the Marionette theatre! We loved it.










 It was actually so nice to have a car. The drives were amazing and nice to have a little down time. (even though I booked it online at $250 but then got to Germany and the price was $900 because of all their fees and taxes!). Here we are just finishing from the bone church to our next castle. The mist was so cool.
Our stop on the way out of Prague, was "the Bone Church". Nothing like I've ever seen before! It is called the Sedlec Ossuary. 
It contains the skeletons of 40,000- 70,000 people!!  They are artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel. Pretty creepy but amazing! 
 We got back from Prague, spent one more night with Richie and then headed to our next destination, which was Rothenburg. This was by far one of my favorites. Known as the "Christmas town". Every shop is Christmas. And every little European house was amazing.

 We had a great 3 hours of just shopping! And of course had to stop in the famous Kathe Wohlfahrt store. We loved the food, the people and the fun shopping experience.

 inside the Kathe Wohlfahrt store

 After Rothenburg, we then traveled to stay by the Rhine River Valley and take a boat tour and see all of the castles a long the River.

 This castle was on our way out of Prague. It is called "Konopiste. My brother suggested to visit this castle because it was in the movie "The Illusionist". It was pretty amazing! And the nice thing was, we got there so late that we were the only ones touring it... which made it even creepier. ;). I loved it!




I had such an amazing time with Rob and Chelsea, I will always remember this trip! It was such a great getaway with yummy food, desserts, attractions and great company. I want to go back! But I definitely missed my little family and couldn't wait to see them when I got home!


No comments: